Organic Herbal Salve
Our organic herbal salve is loaded with soothing, healing organic herbs (10 total) infused in organic olive oil, organic carnauba wax, and organic beeswax. We also add in some organic coconut oil, and organic tamanu oil to help moisturize and rejuvenate your skin. Our customers tell us it works on rashes, bug bites, wounds, dry and cracked skin, diaper rash, and more.
The container is metal with a screw on lid. It holds approximately 1 oz. of salve.
Herbal medicines can be very effective. Herbal remedies can also be powerful, and can have significant impact. One example many people have heard of is heroin, which is an extremely powerful drug that is derived from the poppy plant. In addition to its black market uses, it is also prescribed by modern doctors (morphine) for acute pain. In this example, botanical ingredients are highly processed to extract some active constituents to create a product with a certain set of properties. This same process is actively being used by researchers currently exploring the Amazon rain forest for new plant and animal species in part to identify new naturally existing compounds that might be effective treatments for cancer or other common modern diseases. Our goal isn't to produce such powerful drugs. We simply want to offer some natural alternatives that might be helpful for minor conditions that are commonly encountered. We created this salve as one of these options that might be useful in a wide variety of conditions.
Our salve starts with a low temperature infusion of organic botanicals and organic olive oils. While keeping the temperature low means the oils need to be infused for a longer time, we believe this helps to preserve the beneficial compounds found in the ingredients. Please keep in mind, this is a natural product and it will soften and even liquify at high temperatures. We recommend keeping it in a cool place (room temperature is good), out of direct sunlight. If you need to solidify it quickly, place it in the refrigerator or otherwise try to rapidly cool it.
Please note that we are not doctors, and this product is not intended to cure, mitigate, treat, or prevent disease. Please consult a health care professional for medical advice.
Below is a list of ingredients used in our salve and some historical background. If some particular ingredient seems to address a concern of yours more than others, it seems likely that a smaller combination of ingredients might offer a more effective solution. Our herbal salve has a wide variety of healing herbs to maximize its utility. Please feel free to contact us if you have an idea for some other products/combinations that you might like to see.
- St. John's Wort has historically been used to help heal wounds, as it stimulates tissue repair and is applied to wounds and burns. It is also thought to reduce nerve pain and can be massaged in to the skin for toothache, sciatica, and joint pain.
- Plantain has been used as a panacea in some Native American cultures for some very good reasons. Many of its active constituents show antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, as well as being anti-inflammatory. Traditionally plantain would have been applied to insect and animal bites to help relieve pain, burning, and itching.
- Echinacea is known to stimulate the immune system to counter both bacterial and viral infections. It is native to North America. All of the medicinally useful species of Echinacea are threatened in the wild; we always insure we purchase Echinacea from a reputable, commercial grower that is not harvesting plants from the wild.
- Comfrey is highly regarded for its healing properties. Its abilities to promote healing of bruises, sprains, fractures, and broken bones has been known for thousands of years.
- Yarrow is a native European plant with a long history as a wound healer. In classical times, it was known as herba militaris because it was used to restrict blood flow from war wounds. It was once known as “nosebleed” for this same reason. It has been used as a wound healing herb for centuries. Achilles reputedly used yarrow to heal wounds, hence its botanical name (Achillea millefolium).
- Calendula is one of the most well known and versatile herbs in Western herbal medicine. The bright orange petals are an excellent remedy for red and inflamed skin, their antiseptic and healing properties help to prevent the spread of infection and speed up the rate of repair. Calendula is above all a remedy for the skin, providing effective treatment for most minor skin problems. It is used for cuts, scrapes, and wounds; for red and inflamed skin, including minor burns and sunburn, and for fungal conditions such as ringworm, athlete's foot, and thrush. It can also be helpful for diaper rash, and cradle cap, and soothes nipples that are sore from breast-feeding. The active constituents in calendula are antiseptic, and some of them are anti-fungal, antibacterial, and antiviral. The herb also astringes the capillaries, an action that explains its effectiveness for cuts, wounds, varicose veins, and various inflammatory conditions.
- Burdock is one of the foremost detoxifying herbs in both Western and Chinese herbal medicine. It is used to treat conditions caused by an overload of toxins. Burdock's diuretic, antibiotic, and mildly bitter actions make it helpful for skin disorders, especially where toxicity is a key factor, such as in acne, abscesses, local skin infections, eczema, and psoriasis.
- Chickweed has been traditionally used to treat irritated skin, and may sooth itchiness where other remedies have failed. It has been used to treat eczema, varicose veins, and nettle rash.
- Muellein is an emollient and makes a good wound healer.
- Goldenseal is a North American remedy, prized during the 19th century as a cure-all. The Cherokee and other Native Americans used it, mixed with bear fat as an insect repellent, and they made it into a lotion for wounds, ulcers, and sore, inflamed eyes. Although there is limited research into Goldenseal's pharmacology, most authorities agree that it is a potent remedy for disorders affecting mucous membranes of the body, notably of the eye, ear, nose and throat, etc. It is also noted for its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Goldenseal is now rare in its natural habitat; we only utilize reputable sources of this herb that cultivate their own supply.
- Tamanu oil has been thoroughly researched, and the conclusive evidence on its ability to heal damaged skin is overwhelming. Its benefits are notable for scarring, stretch marks, minor cuts and abrasions, rashes, sores, and much more.
Ingredients: Olive oil* infused with: (Plaintain leaf*, St. John't Wort*, Echinacea*, Comfrey Leaf*, Yarrow*, Burdock Root*, Chickweed*, Mullein Flower*), Coconut oil*, Carnauba wax*, Tamanu oil*, Calendula extract*, Goldenseal powder*, beeswax*, Lemongrass essential oil*, and Rosemary antioxidant*. * All ingredients are Certified Organic